I would like to note here that much of this research would not have been possible without the articles of Rev. Martin Coen in the Connacht Tribune Newspaper in the 1970s detailing the history of some priests in Kilmacduagh and Galway Diocese. He was a thorough researcher and for that I am grateful. The 1893 book by Rev Jerome Fahey 'The Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora' was also indispensable in researching the earlier priests.
If anybody knows of any other priests from the parish that should be included in this list, pleas contact me, or comment below, and I will update the list accordingly.
Timothy Geoghegan (1795-1847)
Fahey, Jerome, 'The Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora' , p. 422
Connacht Tribune 25 Nov 1977, p. 4
Timothy Geoghegan (1829-1884)
Fr. Geoghegan was a man kindly and genial, and a favorite with all. His health gave way soon in the discharge of his duties. He died on the 1st September 1884, and is buried in Craughwell parish church. His effects of £168 5 shillings were proven by Rev. Richard Burke of Craughwell and Rev. Thomas Burke of Kilchreest.
Nation Newspaper, 24 Feb 1868, p.3; Connacht Tribune 25 Nov 1977, p. 4; Nation Newspaper, 13 Nov 1869, p.3
Fahey, Jerome, 'The Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora' , p. 414, 424
Patrick Geraghty (1844-1910)
He was presented with a chalice from St. Colman’s Temperance Society of Gort (which is now in Shanaglish). Notably, he also received Frank Persse (brother of Lady Gregory) into the Catholic Church when he married Mary Monaghan. He died on 11 October 1910 in Cuilmore, Peterswell Parish, aged just 66, and was buried in Peterswell Church. He willed his £549 10 shillings to his brother Thomas Geraghty on 1 December 1910. The Connacht Tribune of 15 July 1911 also informed his wishes as regards his will; he willed the Parish Priest of Kilthomas £20 for repair of the chapel; to the Parish Priest of Beagh £20 for an altar, and £20 for Masses to the priests of the Deanery of Kilmacduagh. He also left £10 to the Vicar General for the poor of Kilthomas, and also a chalice to St. Thomas’. His brother was James M. Geraghty M.D. (1854-1940) and Rev. Pat Whelan is his great grand-nephew. He was remembered as quick-witted, good humored and always ready with a smart quip, as well as a zealous missionary priest.
Connacht Tribune 2 Dec 1977, p.30
Fahey, Jerome, 'The Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora' , p. 435, p.486
John Joseph (J.J.) Deely (1899-1964)
He was educated at St. Mary’s College, Galway, and was one of its first students in 1912. He completed his studies at University College, Galway, University College, Dublin, and later at All Hallows, where he was ordained in 1921 (it should be noted that other newspaper obituaries mentioned his year of ordination as 1924). His father died on 23 March 1924, aged 69 in Furpark.
He then went to Australia, ministering in a number of parishes before being appointed Parish Priest of Balkham Hill, Sydney, spending 20 years there. His mother died on 7 June 1954 at Caherbroder, Gort. He was then appointed Parish Priest of Croydon in 1959. He first returned to Ireland in 1947 and was last home in 1962. He had been in Australia for 40 years, ministering in various parishes in the diocese of Sydney.
Very Rev. J.J. Deely, died at the Little Company of Mary Hospital, Lewisham, near Sydney, on 7 October 1964. He was survived by a brother Patrick Deely, farmer of Firpark, and a sister Mrs. Anna Gillane, Gort. It should also be noted that his brother Martin had been a member of the old I.R.A. for which he received a service medal. Martin died in August 1963. His brother Patrick died 2 months after John, dying on December 1964 at the Regional Hospital Galway.
Irish Press, 9 Oct 1964, p.9; Irish Independent 8 Oct 1964, p.15; Connacht Sentinel 13 Aug 1963, p.1
Martin Diviney (1909-1980)
He died on 20th February 1980 in the Mater Private Nursing Home, Dublin, after a short, sudden illness.
From his obituaries, it was learned he was a much travelled man, and always had the ‘love of his native Irish soil uppermost to his heart’. He was widely regarded amongst his friends as a man of outstanding merit. He was interred in Shanaglish Church after concelebrated Mass. He was survived by his sisters Kathleen Callinan, Peterswell, Mary Ann Diviney, Long Island, USA, and brother John Diviney, USA. His brother Danny had died in 1970, and presumably his brother John died between 1970 and 1980 as he was not mentioned in any of the obituaries.
Connacht Tribune 19 Feb 1982 p.14; Connacht Tribune 13 Nov 1970 p.7; Connacht Tribune 11 Apr 1980, p.46
Patrick (Paddy) Egan (????-1978)
Before his ordination he was President of Lough Cutra Legion of Mary and Secretary of the Young Farmers Club in the area. He was a well-known member of the farming community in Shanaglish prior to his studies for the priesthood late in life. He was an active member of the local GAA.
He proceeded then to work as assistant parish priest in St. John’s Parish, Newferry, Merseyside, Diocese of Shrewsbury, England. He died on 20 February 1978 after a short illness, at the Regional Hospital, Galway. Deeply regretted by his brother Rev. Brother Claude, Brothers of Charity, Clarenbridge, his sisters and brother-in-law. Concelebrated Mass in Shanaglish Church, burial afterwards to adjoining cemetery.
Connacht Tribune 19 Feb 1982 p.14; Connacht Tribune 13 Jun 1975, p.40; Kilkenny People 13 June 1975 p.1; Irish Independent 22 Feb 1978 p.25; Connacht Tribune 10 March 1978, p.29
Leo Clandillon (1927-1981)
On 27 March 1955, His Grace the Archbishop of Dublin The Most Reverend John C. McQuaid, D.D. conferred Orders on some students in Holy Cross College, Clonliffe. He conferred Tonsure and First Minor Orders on Leo Clandillon O.P. For each seminarian, receiving successive Minor Orders represents a deepening commitment and growing conformance to the humility and dignity of the priesthood. In order to begin theological studies, the Tonsure and First Minor Orders had to be given.
On 9 July 1956 His Grace Most Rev John C. McQuaid DD. Archbishop of Dublin and Primate of Ireland ordained Prelate at St. Mary’s Dominican College, Tallaght, Co. Dublin. Among them was Leo Clandillon O.P. (one of 7 ordained) who was raised to the priesthood. The ordinations were the second to be held in St. Mary’s in 69 years. His Grace was yesterday assisted by Rev. L Martin BD, Secretary, and Rev J. Sheehy, Clonliffe College. Leo then spent the next two years in Rome before being assigned to St. Mary’s Tallaght, Dublin.
By 20 September 1958, at St. Michael’s Church, Athy, Leo performed the marriage of his cousin, Maureen Clandillon of Dunbrin, to Michael Ryan of Toomevara. On 28 May 1960, his mother Margaret died. Sometime after being stationed in Tallaght, he was among the teaching staff of Newbridge Dominican College, where he taught for a few years.
On 15 August 1964 Leo preached a special sermon at a special Mass in honour of St. Dominic at the Domincan Church in Galway. The Bishop of Galway, Most Rev. Dr. Michael Browne presided over the Mass. A newspaper report dated 10 October 1964 informed that Rev. Rev. Leo Clandillon O.P. left for Melbourne to work on the Australian mission fields. A passenger record was located for Leo, recording his arrival at Auckland port on 6 January 1967. His destination was listed as 16 Waterloo Quadrant Avenue. The Catholic Diocese of Auckland Library was located at this address.
On 23 May 1969 Reverend Leo, returned home for a holiday in Lough Cutra from his missions in New Zealand, to visit his father Michael, brother Seamus and Sister Mrs. M. Early of Tubber. Just 5 months later his father died on 10 October 1969 at the Regional Hospital Galway.
On 8 April 8 1970, Rev. Clandillon O.P. worked in the office of the Australia National University. On 20 March 1972 he performed a mass at Ursula Chapel Australia National University, Canberra, Australia, to inaugurate the new university academic year and to welcome ‘freshers’. Australia Electoral Rolls for 1972 placed him at John XXII College. John XXIII College, in the Dominican tradition, was established in 1967 on the site of Lennox House, at the Australian National University (ANU) prior to its construction at 51 Daley Road in 1969. The College was founded by the Order of Preachers (Dominicans) and was named after Pope John XXIII (1958-63).
In August 1975 Leo replaced Father Pollock as Prior of St. Dominic’s in Athy, Kildare. As an interesting aside, St. Dominic’s, Athy is the only church in Ireland called after St. Dominic. He remained as Prior here for 6 years until his transfer in August 1981 in his new role as teacher and chaplain in Sligo Regional Technical College. Newspaper reports informing of his transfer reported ‘Father Clandillon’s departure is much regretted by the people of Athy and surrounding areas. He was a gifted preacher in the best tradition of the Dominican order. He was always willing to give support to everything that was of benefit to the town.’
On 14 September 1979, Rev. Leo officiated at his brother-in-laws funeral and the removal of his remains. Roy Gannon (53) of Old Market Street, Sligo, was a senior member of the clerical staff at Sligo Post Office.
Father Leo Clandillon O.P. died the first week of March, 1983. Recently, before his death, he was a member of the Dominican Community at St. Mary’s Priory, Claddagh, Galway. He was survived by 2 brothers, 3 sisters and other relations. His sister Catherine West (née Clandillon) died in East Wall, Dublin in August 2009, and his sister Margaret Earley has also died by this time.
Canberra Times (ACT) Mar 20 1972; Sunday Independent 27 March 1955, p.4; Irish Press 9 Jul 1956, p.7; Nationalist and Leinster Times 20 Sep 1958, p.12; Connacht tribune 28 May 1960, p. 19; Connacht Tribune 15 Aug 1964 p.21; Connacht Tribune 10 Oct 1964, p.23; Connacht Tribune 23 May 1969, p.26; Irish Independent 11 Oct 1969 p.20; Connacht Tribune 17 Oct 1969, p.26; Nationalist and Leinster Times 11 July 1975 p.28; Nationalist and Leinster 12 Aug 1977, p.15; Sligo Champion 14 Sep 1979 p.13; Nationalist and Leinster Times 7 Aug 1981 p.10; Nationalist and Leinster Times 11 Sep 1981 p.9; Connacht Tribune 11 March 1983 p.33; Connacht Tribune 29 Apr 1983, p.34; Connacht Tribune 16 Feb 1957 p.17
Noel Fogarty (1928-2016)
Before becoming a priest, Msgr. Noel Fogarty was a nationally-recognized hurling goalkeeper. This photo was taken at the All-Ireland colleges semi-final in 1946. Although Msgr. Fogarty's side lost, the national newspaper praised his stellar goalkeeping. http://www.miamiarch.org/CatholicDiocese.php?op=Article_Msgr.+Noel+Fogarty+dies+at+87
After the establishment of the Archdiocese of Miami in 1958, he served at more than a half-dozen various parishes and schools in South Florida. In 1958 he was serving as parochial vicar at St. Mary Magdalen on Miami Beach (now Sunny Isles Beach).
He witnessed many changes in Miami after the Cuban Revolution in 1959. “We were set up at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Little River and they would come in with only the clothes on their backs,” Fogarty told the Miami Herald in 2007. “They were hungry. The government drifted for a long time, and that left it up to the church. We had to provide jobs and medical and dental help and social help. It was a tremendous achievement by Miami and the church to absorb almost a million people.”
He then served as parochial vicar at Epiphany while teaching English at Christopher Columbus High School in Miami, and at St. Mary Cathedral while teaching at the all-girls Notre Dame Academy (now co-ed Archbishop Curley-Notre Dame Prep).
In 1962, he served a few months as parochial vicar at St. Brendan in Miami before being named administrator of the newly established parish of St. Bartholomew in Miramar. He supervised the construction of the church, school and convent there while also serving as chaplain to the South Florida Mental Hospital nearby.
In 1971, he was named pastor of St. Rose, and a year later took on the added responsibility of serving as archdiocesan chancellor, vicar for clergy, and vicar general under Archbishop Carroll. He left this post in 1978.
Monsignor Fogarty also served as archdiocesan chancellor, vicar for clergy and vicar general to Archbishop Coleman Carroll when the diocese grew the most and the fastest. In 1974, he was elevated to the rank of Prelate of Honor with the honorary title of Monsignor by Pope Paul VI, and was later raised to Protonotary Apostolic, the highest rank, by Pope John Paul II in 1995. The monsignor also was responsible for recruiting clergy from Ireland to serve in South Florida. He recruited priests from the seminaries from 1962-1971 and he created a two-week orientation course for the men. The classes covered insight about food, geography, marriage laws and vocabulary such as saying "gas" verses "petrol."
He found himself competing with recruiters from California, Texas and other Sun Belt states. "It was almost like the NFL draft," he recalled to the Sun Sentinel in 1989. Some of the recruiters were offering improper inducements like new cars, so he focused on time-tested methods: stressing the hardships and appealing to idealism. "I did well," he recalled; At one time, dozens of young men were lined up to come to South Florida because of his efforts. He wound up recruiting most of the Irish priests who currently serve or have served in the Archdiocese of Miami.
Monsignor Jude O'Doherty, Miami, said of Fogarty; "He was extremely bright, he was gifted with a brilliant mind, perceptive. He was so good to his people, he worked into the night almost every night taking care of his parishioners and the priests who were with him. He was a faithful servant to the church that he loved." “He was, you could say, a hard task master but he was a steady rock,” said Msgr. O’Doherty. “He was a mentor and example to priests. And he was a pastor to his parishioners.”
He was assigned to St. Gregory in 1992 after 20 years as pastor of St. Rose of Lima in Miami Shores. He retired from St. Gregory the Great Church in 2011 after starting his work there in 1992. He also helped build the school at St. Gregory that now has more than 800 children, and created an endowment fund to assist struggling families with tuition money. Within months of arriving in 1992, he began raising funds to rebuild and enlarge the parish school, going from two to three classrooms in every grade.
In 58 years of priesthood, Msgr. Noel Fogarty held a plethora of positions: teacher, pastor, chaplain, chancellor, vicar general, dean, president of the priests’ senate and chairman of many boards. He was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor in mid-February 2016, and Noel died on Wednesday 11 May 2016. He was buried at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Cemetery. He is survived by two siblings, Anna and William, and a number of nieces and nephews, all of whom live in Ireland.
Patrick (Pat) Gerald Whelan (1948-Present)
Connacht Tribune, 20 Dec 1974, p.34
Vivian Loughrey (1970-Present)
He served at Blessed John XXIII, in the Archdiocese of Miami, beginning about 2010, and previously served as parochial vicar at St. Gregory in Plantation. When he returned to Ireland, he had worked as a curate in Salthill Parish for a few years, and also provided cover for Craughwell parish, but arrived in Shrule, Co. Mayo in 2015. Rev. Vivian Loughrey Adm is currently appointed at Shrule Parish, Co. Mayo.
Connacht Tribune 6 June 1997, p.6